EmAnne

EmAnne

The Book of Broken Hearts

The Book of Broken Hearts - Sarah Ockler This novel was powerful and well-written, however, the book didn't stand out from all the other contemporaries. I will try some more Sarah Ockler, as this book did have some good parts and I have heard so much praise.

The tragic part was the father's case of Alzheimer's. This frequently left me in tears. We see how the illness effects the family. I felt like the reactions from family and friends Papi's condition were very realistic, and the father's episodes were heartbreaking and real. Please note that, in my opinion, the disease was the most impressive part of The Book of Broken Hearts, along with the diversity of the characters!

The romance aspect was sweet, but not very developed in my opinion. Also, I had very conflicting feelings about Jude. I enjoyed the character growth, however, the ending just didn't do it for me. It seemed a little too... macho I guess. Kind of overdone. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautifully written ending, just not realistic for me. Also, there was a lot of other things I wanted to know that weren't mentioned or concluded well.

I really don't know what my problem was besides those little complaints, the book just plain didn't leave an impression on me. At all, really. Do you know that read that you know a lot of people will like, and that something is wrong with you because your mind keeps straying? Yeah, that was The Book of Broken Hearts to me.

Overall, this book had factors I liked... and factors I didn't. The Papi's Alzheimer's tore at my heart, and I loved the character diversity yet the romance and ending were very "meh". I would recommend this novel to big-time contemporary fans.

3.5/5 stars... I am not sure if I should round up or down... *sigh*