EmAnne

EmAnne

Wake (Watersong, #1)

Wake (Watersong, #1) - Amanda Hocking For fans of Amanda Hocking's Trylle series, you might find Wake a little lacking of the magical charm she set in her other books, but Wake was still a tremendously wonderful read. In fact, right after I read it, I bought the second book, Lullaby, and read it that same day.

In the goodreads description, all you hear about is Gemma, Gemma, Gemma, when, in actuality, Wake is about Gemma AND her sister, Harper. They are both the stars of this book. I was a fan of Harper (maybe because she reminds me of myself) rather than Gemma. Also, I am head-over-heels for her love interest Daniel (especially after Lullaby). Harper is responsible, kind, loving, and smart. When their Mother became unstable after a traumatic car crash, Harper became the head of the family, looking after her dad and sister.

Just because I liked Harper better doesn't mean I didn't like Gemma. Gemma is also a wonderful character. She is brave and loyal and loves her family. Gemma goes out for night swims in the ocean, trains hard in the pool, and hopes to go to the olympics. She wants to avoid the creepy group of girls at all cost. Especially since the teenage boy disappearances could be linked to Penn and her crew. Alex, Gemma's neighbor is a good character, but wasn't as interesting as Daniel. But at least he seemed real, unlike some characters in books. Amanda Hocking is truly good at making her characters come alive.

The town Harper and Gemma live in is well developed. We see a lot of it and it's people. Harper works at the library with her friend, Gemma swims at the pool, Daniel lives on a boat at the dock and their Dad works near there, across the street from the library is Pearl's diner where Harper and Daniel eat lunch, Briar Ridge, the group home their mother stays at, and the bay where Gemma takes her night swims. I feel right at home in the town in Wake.

Wake was a tad slow. "Then one night, Gemma’s ordinary life changes forever. She’s taking a late night swim under the stars when she finds Penn, Lexi and Thea partying on the cove. They invite her to join them, and the next morning she wakes up on the beach feeling groggy and sick, knowing something is different - Goodreads" This scene happens when we are already halfway done with the book!

The book is well written and funny! Here is one of my favorite excerpts:

“I didn’t actually mean for you to keep apologizing. I know it was an accident.”
“I know, but…” She shook her head. “I didn’t even properly thank you for helping out my sister, and then I attacked you with your own ice cream.”
“That’s true. You are a menace and must be stopped.”
“I know you’re teasing, but I feel bad.”
“No, I’m dead serious. I should report you for your abhorrent behavior,” Daniel said with a straight face, telling her the same thing she’d told him the day before.
“Now you’re making me feel worse.” Harper looked down at her shoes and balled up the wet napkins in her hands.
“That’s my plan,” Daniel said. “I like to guilt pretty girls into going out with me.”
“Smooth.” Harper narrowed her eyes at him, unsure if he was kidding or not.
“That’s what the ladies tell me.” He grinned at her, and his hazel eyes had a gleam to them.”

He is kinda aggravating, huh? I, like Harper, didn't like him at all until that scene. But after that... well... *swoon*

Well, I really thought Wake was wonderful. Not as wonderful as the Trylle series but still wonderful. Next I am going to read her Vampire series.(My blood approves)

4/5 stars